Welcome to MAHC
MAHC is proud to be the premier advocacy organization for affordable rental housing in Maryland. As a largely volunteer organization, the Coalition has evolved and grown over the years. We now have a diverse group of 160 member organizations, including non-profit and for-profit developers, community action groups, state and local housing authorities, property management companies, financial institutions, community development organizations, contractors, investors, consultants and individuals who wish to advocate for affordable rental housing.
OUR 2013 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Increased Financial Resources for Rental Housing
- Led a successful effort to secure $20 Million for the Rental Housing Works Program - for a record total of $37.5 million in new State funding the last two years.
- Successfully advocated for full funding of the DHCD rental housing budget.
- Crafted and successfully enacted legislation to significantly reduce transfer taxes on rental housing projects.
- Negotiated changes to provide more favorable treatment of surplus cash in DHCD financed projects which is better for developers and local governments.
Improved the State's Rental Housing Programs
- Played a strong role in the revision of the rental housing plan and guide - submitting multiple sets of recommendations - and was highly successful in having them implemented.
- Provided input on the Local Approval process leading to upcoming legislative proposals for change.
- Held quarterly meetings with Secretary Skinner to discuss issues of importance to members.
Provided Learning Opportunities and Kept Members Informed
- Held our largest and most successful Housing Day, a major advocacy success with passage of all MAHC legislative priorities.
- Conducted numerous educational sessions on key and timely rental housing issues, such as updates on Rental Housing Works, Federal housing policies, new rental housing program opportunities, energy programs, and the National Housing Trust Fund.
- Provided E-Newsletters and Action Alerts throughout the year to keep members informed of important topics in the rental housing industry.
- Committees met throughout the year and provided members a change to learn through peer exchange.
Provided Opportunities to Network with Peers and Celebrate Success
- Held our Annual Meeting in Baltimore with over 250 guests and provided valuable information on upcoming federal and state changes.
- Cohosted the grand opening of the first completed RHW project.
- Hosted a Spring Mixer and a Holiday Mixer.
Let's Keep Moving Forward in 2014 - Renew or Join MAHC Today!
Together we can be a mighty force for Rental Housing in Maryland.
Community Development Network of Maryland
Launches Consider the Person Campaign
The Community Development Network of Maryland, formerly the Maryland ABCD Network, launched the Consider the Person Campaign during its Annual Meeting a few weeks ago. The campaign focuses on dispelling the many myths surrounding the Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly Section 8) and the participants in that program, so that participants can utilize their voucher anywhere in the region.
All too often, language used to describe voucher holders is full of negative stereotypes and misconceptions. The truth is that more than half of voucher holders are elderly or veterans, or active in the workforce who have income that is not enough to cover market rate rental expenses in the region. Like anyone else, voucher holders want to be a part of and contribute to a thriving community they can call home.
Go to http://considertheperson.org for all the details on the campaign, including some excellent videos of a participant and a landlord in the Housing Choice Voucher program.